Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The final week rolled around and I missed it. So I had to catch the emergency week just in case you missed anything. I ended up having a doozy of a last day as my aquarium seemed to have to life. The Euchlania still had the highest amount of creatures at 17, but the Cyclops seemed to be playing catch-up as I counted their number at 6. The diving beetle was of course still around exerting his reign over the tiny aquarium and the green beetle was still nowhere to be found. As I began looking for new creatures I immediately found one in the algae covered Amblestegium Varium moss. It was a insect larvae of a midge, Chrinomus sp (Pennak). It was moving all over the place eating as much of anything as it could. It was really interesting being able to view the larvae literally swallow things whole and watch them go down it's digestive track. The larvae was so long and so fast that I was unable to successfully capture it in one take.

                                          Chrinomus sp.                                       Austin Troutt

                                          Chrinomus sp.                                       Austin Troutt


Also in these pictures you can see just how much the algae has taken over the small environment. Doing a bit of research I was able to find out that the algae is the Golden Algae or Chrysophytes (Forest).
That basically wraps things up for this project. I gotta say this was a really fun project and for a miniscule moment I felt like a real scientist. I hope there are projects like this in Botany II.

References:

Forest, HS. Handbook of Algae. The University of Tennessee Press. 1954. page 278

Pennack, RW. Fresh-water Invertabrates of the United States. John Wilson and sons. 1989 page 687

No comments:

Post a Comment