Wednesday, November 27, 2013

In my third week of observations, I observed a lot more diversified life in my aquarium. A food pellet had been dropped in the aquarium in order to attract the creatures and I was able to successfully identify a Euchlanis sp. Rotifers. Euchlania are filter feeders, meaning they filter particles out of the water (Patterson). I was able to identify 4 Euchlania. The diving beetle is still alive and doing well and so is the small green beetle though I still cannot slow it down to identify it. I was not able to find any planarian this time around. The algae have grown exponentially and now the aquatic plants have a thick layer of algae on them.


                                              Euchlanis sp.                                  Austin Troutt

References:
Patterson, DJ. Free-living Fresh-water Protozoa: A color guide. Manson Publishing. Boca Rotan, FL. 1992 page 133

No comments:

Post a Comment