Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My fourth week of observation proved to be very exciting as I was able to identify a lot of creatures. The Euchlania have more than doubled as it seemed that I saw one with every turn of the microscope.
                                          Euchlanis sp.                                        Austin Troutt

The diving beetle seems to still be doing fine, however, there is no sign of the green beetle. At this point I'd like to take a moment of silence for the green beetle as his fate is all but certain. I wish I could have identified him before he was decomposed but some things are better left a mystery. However, with death comes life I was able to identify a new species in my aquarium. Swimming around near the bottom I was able to identify a single water flea, Cyclops bicuspidatas (Patterson). It was quite fast and seemed a bit photo shy, but I was able to take a few pictures of the beast before it would dart away.

                                           Cyclops sp.                                        Austin Troutt

                                          Cyclops sp.                                          Austin Troutt

The algae seems to have stopped growing as the layer it provides still is about as thick as it once was.

References:
Patteson, DJ. Free-living Fresh-water Protozoa: A color guide. Manson Publishing. Boca Roton, FL. 1992. Page 163

No comments:

Post a Comment