Tuesday, November 26, 2013

For my Micro-aquarium project i used the water and soil from Meads Quarry, Island Home Ave to fill my container 3/4 full by sucking it up with a pipette (McFarland 2013). I than added the aquatic plants ,Utricularia gibba from Spain Lake on Camp Bella Air Road and Amblestegium Varium from a spring in Carters Mill Park on Carter Mill road ,to my container and it rose to about 4/5 full (McFarland 2013). When adding the soil from Meads Quarry I accidentally picked up an aquatic beetle and added it to my aquarium. It is the largest of any of the creatures so far as you don't need a microscope to see it. I also picked up a tiny green beetle as well that only an expert could identify with the naked eye, but too large for a microscope. While looking through my aquarium i wasn't able to see much of any other creatures, however, i was able to clearly see the plant cell structures in both of my aquatic plants.


References:
McFarland, Kenneth [Internet] Botany 111 Fall 2013. [November 27,2013]. Available from http://botany1112013.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment